- Artist Services
The printmaking studio, located at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts school (Scaife Building), provides print artists with materials for intaglio and relief printing, which include:
- Graphic Chemical inks in a range of colors and blacks
- tarlatans for wiping plates and ink modifiers
- acids for both zinc and copper etching
- grounds, solvents, blotters and newsprint
- rosin is available but the studio does not currently have a rosin box
- a range of tools including rulers, scrapers, burnishers, brayers and etching needles
- monotype inks and base in waterborne form are stocked
- a range of Plexiglas plates and some tools specific to monotype processes
The studio is equipped with two presses:
- the large press has a thirty-nine inch wide bed and has been recently refurbished, capable of handling a full 24 x 36 inch plate.
- the second press, a Sturges Eching Press, Model CP-5 has a 28 x 48 inch steel bedplate. This bed size allows about 34 inches of usable bed.
There is a large hot plate available for applying grounds and a small dry-box. A small spray box is also available. Storage is very limited at this time and is generally unavailable.
|PRINTMAKING FACILITIES (in-house only)|
|Printmaking Studio use||10.00/hr|
|For sale from the PCA Office:|
|8 x 10 Plates||$15|
|5 x 7 Plates||$10|
|4 x 5 Plates||$7|
There are two ways to structure your Printmaking Access Membership:
1. Basic Access Membership: $75 Basic access allows you to use equipment and facilities on a pay-as-you-go rental basis. When you come in to use equipment/facilities, you will pay the rental fees listed in our rates above.
2. Full Access: $375 (Individual membership fee $75 + Access package $300) Full access allows you to use our equipment and facilities on a rent-free basis. You will not have to pay the rental rates listed above.
In order to gain access and use our equipment/facilities, you are required to complete a membership application and demonstrate your ability to operate the equipment you wish to have access to with an in-person demonstration.
Please contact our Printmaking studio coordinator, Conor McGrann at 412-361-0455 or email email@example.com to schedule an in-person demonstration (test out) for Access to the Printmaking studio.