- Artist Services
2015 Program Info
SELECTION PROCESS AND CRITERIA
Up to 15 applicants will be invited to participate in the fellowship. (Flight School typically receives 100 applications.) PF/PCA staff determines eligibility. Diversity will be cultivated to strengthen the program.
An anonymous peer panel will make selections according to the criteria outlined below. Emphasis will be placed on selecting artists who:
- Have creation of new work as a primary artistic focus (as compared to interpreting existing works)
- Appear poised to transition to a new phase of professionalism in his/her artistic career
- Could benefit from setting professional goals and building upon marketing, fundraising, and financial management skills
- Could benefit from a new network of professional artist contacts.
There are more worthy artists than there are spaces in the program. Not being invited to participate should not be viewed as a verdict on your work or your suitability.
Artists invited to participate in the fellowship will be required to attend and fully engage in the Fellowship at Pittsburgh Filmmakers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- For this application process, a practicing/professional artist is defined as a person who creates, on an ongoing basis, original works of art within an artistic discipline, and is pursuing this work as a means of livelihood, or a way to achieve the highest level of professional recognition.
- All applicants must reside in the Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington, or Westmoreland.
- Applicants must be generative artists (i.e., artists who create original works of art such as writers, composers, choreographers, visual artists, multi-media artists, filmmakers, and theatre makers.)
- Applicants should be practicing artists who have been working professionally for at least 5 years.
- Applicants must be able to attend the Creative Capital weekend workshop and all Flight School sessions.
- Artists of all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Artists currently enrolled in a degree-granting program (through September 2015 are not eligible.)
STIPEND & ASSOCIATED COSTS
Artists will receive a stipend of $350 upon completion of the Flight School Fellowship. Actual cost of attendance, including meals, and stipend is estimated to total more than $2,000 per participant and is supported in 2015 by the Heinz Endowments and the Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation.
- February 20-22: Creative Capital weekend workshop at Pittsburgh Filmmakers
- March 2 & 9: Entry Coaching Sessions
- March 16: Flight School Session 1, 6 - 9 pm
- March 23: Flight School Session 2, 6 - 9 pm
- March 30: Flight School Session 3, 6 - 9 pm
- April 6: Flight School Session 4, 6 - 9 pm
- April 13: Flight School Session 5, 6 - 9 pm
- April 20: Flight School Session 6, 6 - 9 pm
- April 27: Flight School Session 7, 6 - 9 pm
- May 4: Flight School Session 8, 6 - 9 pm
- May 11: Flight School Final Presentations, location TBD
- May 15: Action Plans Due
- May 18 & 19: Exit Coaching Sessions
(Note: Flight School participants will be expected to attend the initial retreat, an entry interview, and every session of the program. Participation by peers is a vital aspect of each fellow’s Flight School experience, which means that any participants’ absence is detrimental to all of the fellows.)